PureBasic 6.02 LTS is out !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
PeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 1 is out !

Post by PeDe »

Thanks for the new version.

I find it interesting that the CanvasGadget does not erase its content when resized. It therefore flickers less when you draw into it during resizing. That makes a big difference between PB v6.01 and v6.02b (Windows 7, 32 bit).

Peter
Otrebor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Otrebor »

Thanks!!
Blue
Addict
Addict

Post by Blue »

Fred wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:54 pm [...] We decided to continue our bug-fix marathon [...]
That's excellent new.
Thank you Fred.

Would you also take a minute (or 10) to fix the ridiculously minuscule icons on the Help file toolbar while you're at it ? On high DPi displays, you can only guess at those icons...
Last edited by Blue on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's not a bug..." said the programmer. "it's a feature! "
"Oh! I see..." replied the blind man.
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

Awesome! Thanks Fred and team!!!
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

PeDe wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:32 pm Thanks for the new version.

I find it interesting that the CanvasGadget does not erase its content when resized. It therefore flickers less when you draw into it during resizing. That makes a big difference between PB v6.01 and v6.02b (Windows 7, 32 bit).

Peter
It was actually a regression, so now everything is back to normal
wayne-c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wayne-c »

PureBasic x64 Windows can no longer be installed on a Windows 11 running in Parallels on macOS ARM with the new installer?

Installer error message: This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures: x64

(I could install the regular x64 versions before 6.02b1, and also compile to "normal" intel windows)
As you walk on by, Will you call my name? Or will you walk away?
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It seems like we are in this case: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/737 ... mulate-x64 . I will what can be done to allow this
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

First of all my heartfelt thanks for all the work on the new 6.xx version Fred! I have not been able to follow the development of the 6 version for health reasons. I was not active in the forum for a long time.

Now, when testing the 6.01 version (portable mode) I did not notice any differences in the handling with PureBasic. Is there anything that needs to be configured for the new backend to take effect?

Or alternatively can someone point me to the interesting postings that show how to handle the new backend? I would also be interested to know if it is now possible to use native C in PB code - similar to how inline assembler was possible in the old versions.

And regarding the installation of PB 6.02b I noticed something:
This version apparently uses a new installer.

But what I notice is that the installation path suggested by the installer points to %AppData% instead of "C:\Program Files" (or "C:\Programme" in the german Windows version).

Actually, the installer suggests the following installpath:
C:\Users\VM\AppData\Local\Programs\PureBasic

I have also noticed this with other software. Is there a new requirement from Microsoft where to install a program under Windows?
Possibly I have missed some information here. Until now I always assumed "C:\Program Files" when it came to native Windows applications.
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It install in program files if you choose 'Install for all users' as you need admin rights. If you choose to install only for you, it install in your private appdata folder. To use the C backend, you need to add it in the compilers (in IDE preferences -> Compilers -> add)
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

Thanks for the clarification Fred. That is exactly how it happened. :idea:
To use the C backend, you need to add it in the compilers (in IDE preferences -> Compilers -> add)
Wow, so there is no "hard cut" away from the asm compiler to the C backend at all?
You made it switchable and one can still work with the old compiler (at least on Windows)? Cleverly done.

Is this to be permanent or will the old compiler be removed at some time? After all, you have two compilers to maintain with each new PB version.
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

For now, we plan to keep the 2 compilers, as the ASM one is much faster to compile and can be useful to toy with inline ASM.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:12 pm For now, we plan to keep the 2 compilers, as the ASM one is much faster to compile and can be useful to toy with inline ASM.
Very good :D
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Mesa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mesa »

I've just downloaded the PB6.02b1 x86 and tried to install in a real Windows XP 32bits and i have the error "It's not a valid win32 application". For the first time since PB 4.xx ! :(
For information, all pb6.xx have had installed and works except this version.

M.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Yes, XP is history since 9 years: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... windows-xp . We try to keep the compatibilty for the produced executables, but we don't officially support it anymore. You need a more recent Windows to install it (or you can try copy the files from another Windows if you really want to use it on XP).
Mesa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mesa »

Dommage :cry:

We should change a lot of pageman in the help, at least /MainGuide/system.html and /Reference/cli_compiler.

M.